Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Obstacles

Time for a lunch break chat! Today I'm gonna talk about obstacles, because I face quite a few. As I mentioned yesterday, I have asthma (as of January-ish. That's when I got an inhaler anyway, so let's go with that). Not fun. And I'm still trying to get used to having to take an inhaler with me everywhere and taking it every single time I go for a run. And if I'm running more than three miles I have to take it with me. When it's cold, that's not a problem. I have plenty of pockets. In the summer, I have a tiny pocket only big enough to fit my house key or car key. So trying to accommodate that is annoying.

In addition to asthma, I have allergies, I get chronic headaches/migraines, knee problems (which started my senior year in high school), I get sick easily, and recently I get bloody noses. For the asthma, inhaler. For the allergies I take Zyrtec (the generic which I can't pronounce or spell off of the top of my head). If it's a really bad day, I take Benadryl at night to help me sleep. Allergies are just hit and miss. Some days I feel great and other days, regardless of medicine, I just feel like crap. Which makes it really hard to motivate myself to run or work out. Some days I can push through it and others I can't. Same with headaches. If I can take Excedrin and my headache is gone within a half hour, then I'll go for a run. Unfortunately when I get migraines, I spend as much of the day as possible in bed.

If my knee bothers me (it's the left, not that that really matters) I usually just suck it up and go. I've been dealing with that pain for about five years now, so I'm accustomed to running through that kind of pain. After a run I just stretch really good and put ice on it if it's really bothering me. But I hate icing injuries. So I avoid it if possible. As far as getting sick goes, once I get sick, generally I'm done until I feel better. Meaning it could be a couple weeks to a month or more without exercise. And sometimes only a week or two of exercise before I get sick again. *Knock on wood* I haven't been really sick in a while. If I do get sick again, I'm gonna have to learn to run through it if I'm going to run a half marathon this fall. As for the recent nose bleeds, well they aren't full on nose bleeds like most people get. It's mainly just that it bleeds every time I have to blow my nose (which is often thanks to my allergies). So I try to take care of that before I leave for a run which seems to help.

What kind of obstacles do you face on a daily basis?

-A

P.S. It's National Running Day! Get out there and run down the street! Or around the block, or across town! Just go run and have fun! :)

5 comments :

  1. It may sound lame but for me its just trying to find time after work, if i have any energy at all. I usually spend most of the day outside baking in the sun or behind a computer so either way im just tired at 5 oclock. I used to have asthma but i guess i beat it out. good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally understand not wanting to do anything after work. I pretty much sit at a computer all day (which might be contributing to some of my headaches...) so it's hard to get going with my work out. I try to just go straight after work because if I sit around to long afterward, I won't go at all. I really wish I was one of those people who could get up bright and early before work.
    And congrats on not having asthma anymore. Maybe I'll get lucky too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, from january to a month ago i was going at 5am. it was torture getting out of bed, but it was soo worth it to have nothing to do at 5, so i could go out with friends. the only downside was wanting to go to bed by 10 lol. i remember i had to sit with a breathing machine when i was like 7, it would just filter out my lungs, and now i have no problems! Keep up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, lovely. I'm just now getting to read ALL of your posts... I'm proud of you for being so consistant!! =) I wanted to comment on this one because I think you should try Paleo, or some other kind of raw foods diet. I know you get sick a LOT more than I do, but we both kind of have the same stomach issues when it comes to food... and I felt AMAZING when I was doing strict Paleo. Google it, check it out, and borrow my books on it if you must. I'm slowly weeding non-paleo foods out of my kitchen, and soon will be going strict Paleo(with the exception of beer, which I will drink whenever I damn well please, after this 30 days of no beer thing.)Anyways, a lot of people think that a TON of health issues (joint problems and asthma included) can be "cured" by a raw foods diet, or at least one that is gluten free. If you wanna try it we can do a buddy support system =) Ok, I'm gonna shut up now. Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hm. I'll have to check it out. But I def need a buddy system. Someone needs to keep me in check lol
    And thank you for reading :) Means a lot

    ReplyDelete