Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Be Your Own Hero

I shocked the hell out of myself. I actually got out of bed at 5 to go run! (Well, I hit the snooze button once, so 5:10). Surprisingly, I felt/feel great. I got up, took my inhaler because I was dreaming I had an asthma attack, and I sort of was when I woke up. So that's cool. I had half a granola bar before my run because I can't do anything on a completely empty stomach. I stretched and left. It was a little on the chilly side for me. I prefer running in 75 degree + weather. It was 64. So it took me a bit to get warmed up. But it was a really great run! There are fewer cars/people out that early in the morning. I got to see the sunrise, which was beautiful. Best of all, I ran about 2 miles and I felt amazing. No breathing problems. My legs were sore, but nothing I couldn't work through. I would have gone for a longer run (especially if I had known I would feel that good) but I didn't want to risk running late.

So now I'm relaxing. I get to watch a full episode of Boy Meets World (normally I'm just getting up at this time). I'm boiling eggs so I can have them for breakfast the rest of the week. I just feel so good right now. Oh, except for when I went to get in the shower and there was a HUGE spider in there!!!! I just about had a heart attack. I had no one to come rescue me and kill the spider for me. No one was there to save me. So I had to suck it up, grow a pair, and kill that damn thing with my shoe before the bastard ran away. And I did. I saved myself from the big scary spider.

Aside from that near heart attack, I feel so great. If running is like this every morning, it might be worthwhile to get up and go. Like I said, more peaceful, less people out and about, sunrise, and I really do feel less grumpy :) The disadvantages are that it's still a little too chilly at 5 am and the sun isn't up yet, so I get no tan.

Since I'm running out of food and I'm gonna have to start fresh next week when I go grocery shopping, I'm thinking of trying something new. A friend of mine suggested trying the Paleo (aka caveman) diet. Basically you eat what hunter/gatherers would have eaten. Fruits, veggies, meat you could kill (not that I'm going to go out and kill my own chicken or anything), etc. Benefits obviously include eating healthier and possibly a better immune system (I do get sick a lot) and maybe even improve my asthma. I haven't done a ton of research on it yet, but it sounds like it might be worth a try. I'm going to do some more research and post some links for the sites I find helpful.

Sorry this was a long one, I feel like I've got to get more in because I probably won't write anything again until tomorrow. Have a wonderful day folks!

-A

4 comments :

  1. I HATE waking up early, but once I AM out of bed, I LOVE the early morning time. It's nice and cool and kinda quiet and peaceful... We should make it a thing to get up and workout super early like one day a week and then go get coffee while it's still early and cool and quiet and pretty out. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this idea very much :) Let me know what day works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blogs totally crack me up. Daily entertainment value at no cost. Spider, grow a pair, & shower -> enough to get me through another day in New York.

    Wish I could add comments on getting out and running. Father time has told me knees that asphault, concrete and travelling at over 2.5mph is no longer in my future. So, I'm relegated to eliptical's in an overly air conditioned gym surrounded by people trying way too hard to look impressive.

    Keep on blogging...

    -Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha thanks Ken! Nice to know I'm making someone laugh :)

    ReplyDelete