Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Hey all,

Time for a lunch hour post. I'd rather write than eat. Just kidding. I love food. I do spend a lot of time during my lunch breaks thinking about my running schedule, though. I've been tossing around the idea of training for a half marathon for a couple weeks now and I've decided I'm gonna go for it. Let me make one thing perfectly clear here: Time/Speed is NOT my goal. My goal is to finish. As someone who could barely run a mile in high school, most of my goals revolve around just finishing a mile, a 3k, 5k etc.  So, the plan is to run and finish the Rock n Roll Half Marathon in St. Louis in October. I figured blogging about my training, successes and failures, might help me to stay on track. And encouragement from readers, friends, and family would be super helpful too. So, that's what this will be all about. Running and overcoming challenges and obstacles. And trying to have fun while running, not running, working, playing, etc.

I will do my best to be informative, inspirational, witty, and whatever else I want because, hey, it's my blog. But I make no guarantees that anything I say will be any of those things.

So now that I'm committing myself to this half marathon (which feels like a bigger commitment than marriage right now) I have to start eating better. Which means a lot of things I either don't like or am too poor/lazy to buy and make. Guess I'll have to suck it up. Today's lunch is almost none of the things I should be eating, but I've got a fridge full of food (mostly leftovers, courtesy of my Momma) and I'm not gonna waste anything--I eat like I'm still in college. So I'm having a cheese-filled italian sausage on slice of whole grain bread, a delicious little salad concoction with chopped up cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, squash (?) italian dressing (light of course) and probably some other things that I don't recognize but eat anyway. And then I have a little ziplock baggie of Cheez-its. My favorite snack. I might die trying to give those up.

Once I've used up all the delicious I-really-shouldn't-be-eating-this food, I'll get myself on track. I even have a long, and probably super-expensive, grocery list. Running is expensive. But totally worth it.

I'll be doing a 3-mile run after work today. It's hot out, which I don't mind. And nice and sunny! Hello tan! And by that I mean a lovely sunburn that might eventually turn into a tan if it doesn't peel.

I'll let you know how the run goes later and get into more detail on my training schedule and whatnot.

Thanks for reading and I hope you'll stick around!

-A


No comments :

Post a Comment