Friday, July 20, 2012

Frustrations

First and foremost, many thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families in the shooting in Colorado. What a terrible, awful thing. If you haven't seen the news, you can read the story here. I checked a couple different news sites and the stories vary as far as how many were severely injured, the time the shooting started, etc. The important thing is that they have the suspect in custody. When I first heard there was a shooting in Colorado, naturally I expected it to be a school shooting. I was surprised to find out it was in a movie theater during The Dark Knight Rises. Sadly, the people watching movies in other theaters heard the noise and some thought it was fireworks while others thought it was just an action part of the movie.

I did a little research on Colorado's gun laws. They do have a conceal and carry for persons of 21 years of age or older, although it doesn't specify when/where you can carry a concealed weapon. In Missouri, you must be at least 23 years old for a conceal and carry permit. Also in Missouri, there are very few places that prohibit concealed weapons (most of which are logical places such as government buildings, airports, schools, colleges, churches, etc.) source: Handgun Laws. I've had a difficult time finding any useful information on Colorado's gun laws. From a few different articles I have read, however, it appears that their laws are not as strict as Missouri as far as who can purchase/carry a gun, and incidents like this are highly unlikely to change the citizens' views on gun laws(The Washington Post).

I've given up on Colorado gun laws. The official state site is about as useless as Wikipedia, if not more so. One major difference I did see was that in Missouri, you are not eligible to carry a firearm if you are a convicted felon, mentally ill, dishonorably discharged from the military, or if the sheriff reasonably believes the person is a danger to him/herself or others. From what I could find, Colorado has the one that prohibits convicted felons from carrying firearms. So, the 24 year old man who shot the people in the theater may not have been diagnosed mentally ill, but could very well have been considered a danger and he would have been given his permits or whatever anyway (yes I'm very aware that some of these people are able to act like normal, not totally crazy people). I just wonder if they had more restrictions, maybe that would at least help prevent things like this from happening.

Okay I'm done talking about all that now. On to the activities of the day:

This morning's run was not as good as yesterday's. I woke up with a headache, but I decided to tough it out anyway. I started off okay, but after a while, my neck and shoulders and upper back started hurting and were really tense. Toward the end of my run I had to stop and tried to stretch my arms out but it didn't help. Maybe some Ibuprofen before my run would have helped? I don't know.

I'm going to try again tomorrow at Creve Coeur and see how it goes. And I'm definitely going to go look at shoes and some hands-free water options. This is going to make me sound super weak and lame, but whatever . . . Carrying a bottle of water while running gets heavy after a while (which could partially explain why my arms were hurting) and it's just uncomfortable to carry in general. So I'm on the market for something different. I've been considering regular hydration belts that have a couple small water bottles and I've also considered a Camelbak. My biggest concerns is that they'll move around/shift/bounce. And that will drive me absolutely insane if I have to keep readjusting things. Seriously, today, for whatever reason, my hair kept falling out of my headband and it was really pissing me off (which didn't help the already sort of bad run I was having). I know, I'm weird.

No comments :

Post a Comment