Monday, August 6, 2012

Poor = Weight Loss

Some of the fitness blogs I follow (which are more or less people like me trying to lose weight and get in shape) seem to be having the same problem I'm having. Lack of motivation. Hitting that plateau. Getting comfortable. You're doing just enough to stay where you are, so you can eat just about whatever you want.

I do believe I have found the solution. I am well aware that this is not the healthiest solution, but it seems to be working for me. BE POOR! I know, I know, I bitch about it all the time. Shut up. I started looking at it differently. I buy the least amount of food possible to get me through a week or so, and I do try to keep it healthy (eating extremely healthy on a budget is quite difficult). So I have a loaf of bread, jelly, peanut butter, sometimes cheese and some sort of meat, sometimes milk, and whatever else. I try very hard to avoid snacks like cheez-its (although considering I tend to buy them once a week or so from the vending machine, it might be cheaper to just buy a box . . .). So I know that if I have a pbj for lunch, then have something else for dinner and then decide I want a snack, so I make another pbj, I'm limiting the food I have to eat the rest of the week for lunch and dinner.

It's easier to tell yourself you don't need a snack when you don't have snack food. Your snack food is now part of a meal that you're going to need later in the week. Aside from a couple times where I remember I have ice cream, I have cut back on snacking. And I'm eating a lot less at lunch and breakfast, and sometimes dinner too, depending on what I have. When you eat less than you normally do for a long enough time, food fills you up faster and you're not as hungry.

Like I said, it's probably not the best/healthiest approach. And you have the issue of what to eat/buy when you're no longer poor (assuming that happens, and in this case, let's do because I don't want to be poor forever). Once you make more money, you have more money to spend on food. Sure, you can buy more healthy foods, but man those Cheez-its you've been too poor to buy for the past two years just look absolutely delicious.

Of course there is the issue with the poverty level. Junk food is infinitely cheaper than healthy food. And the "healthy" foods that are available are over-processed and full of weird preservatives and such. In this case, poor/poverty = likeliness of obesity. So you have to be at just the right amount of poor to afford some healthy foods, or semi-healthy foods. I eat a lot of pbj's (I'm sure at some point in the near future I'm gonna get sick of them). Pbj's are not the healthiest food, and have quite a bit of sugar and carbs. However, it's better than eating a bag of potato chips or stopping at McDs for a large fry.

And, of course, you still have to work out. I'm struggling in this department a little. It's a large combination of things, but it boils down to I just don't have the energy lately. This could perhaps be related to eating like the poor person I am. But there's also allergies and headaches I seem to be getting on a daily basis. Is it October yet? I'm ready for Excedrin to come back. Although it's been gone so long, I'm sure it won't stay on the shelves long when it first comes out. Shoot.

No comments :

Post a Comment