Monday, August 20, 2012

First Day of Grad School

It's late-ish. And my slow computer took ten minutes to get started up. The things I go through to write a post for you all. This will be a short one though. I am tired and eating Oreos. Best way to stop that is to sleep. I think.

I just wanted to tell you all about my first day of school like I'm a third grader who did a super fun art project today and wants to have it hung on the fridge, even though it's probably fugly. Also I know my mom will read this and I didn't return her call to tell me good luck on my first day. But my phone was also dying a quick death.

I digress. I survived my first day of grad school! Go me! My biggest problem is figuring out what to do with my hour break between work and class. I'm considering going to the gym for a quick workout. That's assuming I don't have to pay to get in. I should get in free as a grad student. I'll be angry if I don't. I'm not paying for that. Blah. Anyway, tonight was my Editing and Research class. I'm a nerd and I love love love editing, so I'm pretty sure I will enjoy this class. And I know I'll learn a ton of stuff, and get lots of practice on stuff I already know. So this class will be helpful to me with my current job, and for any future jobs. I love when your classes and assignments have real-world applications. Unlike math. Why do I need to know how many watermelons Timmy has left if he gives two to Jane and she gives him an orange?

I'm also looking forward to my class on Wednesday. It's my 19th century American Lit class, and I'm almost done with the reading assignment for this week. Actually I think I'm reading more than I really needed to, but it doesn't hurt to get ahead of schedule a little. It is really time-consuming reading for classes like this. Not only because you have to read about ten novels in however many weeks is in a semester (don't judge me, it's been a long day and numbers aren't my thing), but also because you have to take notes while you read so you can talk about it in class and use it for papers and such. Writing stuff like that is kinda hard, believe it or not. And my hand freaking hurts from all the writing I've done lately. I can't wait to have my Mac and I will type all of my notes (yes, I am getting my Mac!).

I did not work out today. However, up until about ten minutes ago, most of what I did eat was healthy. Those Oreos were just calling my name! I plan to go for a run tomorrow, although I think I'm going to make it a short one--my leg is hurting quite a bit and I don't want to overdo it. But I'm also going to do some push ups and things like that, so maybe that will make up for it.

I'll write more tomorrow! I can't promise posts on every Monday and Wednesday, but I'm going to try!

4 comments :

  1. Oh how I miss grad school! I finished my coursework for my Masters almost 3 years ago but it feels like just yesterday. I made the mistake of taking on *way* to much while I was a grad student and I hardly remember much from those two years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something tells me that's how I'm going to feel in the near future. I'm working full time and taking 6 hours a semester, and hopefully summer courses so I can get it done in two years. What did you get your masters in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psychology! I wasn't working outside of the department but I did take 12-15 credit hours each term and had 1-3 assistantships (which constituted 10-30 work hours a week). It was madness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even imagine trying to do all that and take that many credit hours! I have quite a few friends that are working on their masters while doing a teaching assistantship and working in one to two other departments 5-10 hours a week as well. I'm kind of glad I don't have to do all that, except that it will probably take me longer to get mine finished.

    ReplyDelete