Tuesday, August 21, 2012

For Every Action, There is an Equal and Opposite Reaction

Today was sort of a success. And sort of not.
I woke up at 4am sneezing and with a scratchy throat and all that nonsense. And because it was so early (late?) I couldn't take Benadryl because I had to be up in a few hours. So I didn't get much sleep after that. Needless to say, breakfast consisted of a sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit from the gas station and a Monster Coffee drink. For lunch I refused to make anything, so I had my broccoli and cheese (which wasn't very good for some reason) and a mozzarella and meatballs lean pocket. I suppose there are worse things I could have eaten.

By this afternoon the coffee had completely worn off and I was super tired. I had to run this evening though. I didn't yesterday because of class, and I won't tomorrow because of class, so I didn't have a choice. I came home, dropped my stuff and changed. I remembered to take my inhaler (which didn't seem to do me much good on my run anyway, but whatever), and I did push-ups and squats before I left. I did my warmup, and ended up walking over half of that. My lungs were not cooperating with me. I decided I was going to start my run and take it slow, and if I couldn't breathe, then I'd stop and walk for a bit. After a while, I wanted to stop. So. Badly. I didn't though. I kept pushing myself and pushing myself. It was hard to breathe and my leg hurt and I was exhausted. But I kept going and didn't stop until I got back to where I started.

I'm so freaking proud of myself right now! I have no clue how long it took me, but I don't care. I ran the entire time and didn't let myself stop. Success!

Here's what's sort of not: My left ankle is killing me (so I probably should have stopped at some point...). The sharp pains I have been feeling in my left leg since last week-ish is not from an injury to my leg or shin splints. It is most definitely my left ankle, which is currently throbbing and sending shooting pains up my leg. I'm currently sitting in bed with an ice pack on it--I almost never ice anything, so this is pretty bad. It looks a little swollen, but this is the first time it has swelled up since I first hurt it. I'm not sure how concerned I should be about this. But, I'm going to ice it, and take some Ibuprofen to hopefully get the swelling down, and rest tomorrow. Fingers crossed it will feel better by Thursday. I will be super angry if it doesn't.

I think I've said this before, but it seems like every time I get into a routine, something happens to throw it off and I can't run for a while, which makes it so much harder to get back into again. So lets all hope and pray and cross our fingers that this is nothing serious and it will be better in a couple days. Okay, I'm willing to give it a few days. I suppose in the mean time I'll do crunches or something--whatever won't bother my ankle too much.

So like I said, sort of successful--I ran two full miles without stopping, which I haven't been able to do in over a month. And it's sort of not successful because now my ankle hurts pretty badly. I make progress in one aspect, and lose it in another. Does it ever get any easier?

No comments :

Post a Comment