Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Monday Sucked

I think we can all agree, Mondays suck. 

This Monday meant a full week back at work. 

Most Mondays mean spilling your coffee; getting a flat tire; running out of gas; forgetting your lunch; dealing with other crabby people; sleep deprivation; anything that can go wrong will go wrong. 

That was pretty much my day yesterday. 

I finally got all the paperwork I needed to go get my plates registered for my car and pay the sales tax. I decided I'd just go on my lunch break. I got there and there were only a couple people in front of me, so I figured I'd be done and back at work with enough time to actually eat my lunch. 

Wrong. So wrong. The worst part is that it wasn't even the DMV's fault. The lady who was working with me was extremely nice and helpful. 

All in all, I spent a total of THREE hours there waiting for all the right paperwork to be faxed over because the St. Francois County Assessor's office is a complete joke. I had to call several times to get them to fax over my personal property tax waiver and then promise the lady I'd mail them a check for the $3.00 it cost them to fax the waiver to the DMV. In my head I was thinking yeah, whatever, screw you lady, just fax over my shit so I can go back to work. I tried to be nice though and promised I'd get her that damned $3.00 because I'm sure that's gonna make or break them. 

So finally they get my stuff faxed over. By this point the lady who had been helping me for the better part of 2 hours had gone on her lunch break so the lady who ended up taking care of the rest of my stuff was not quite as friendly, but she wasn't rude either. 

Unfortunately, they were unable to transfer my plates from my previous car like they were supposed to be able to. I wasn't in the mood to fight with them over it though, so I just took my new plates, payed all my fees and taxes and went on my way. I ended up paying $993 total, which was actually a little less than I expected since I was almost 2 months late in getting everything done. 

I get back to work and I've completely lost my appetite. I eat my applesauce though so I can take some excedrin because by that point I had an awful headache. I get a couple hours of work done and then head home. 

At some point during my drive after the traffic had thinned out and the highway was getting darker, I realized my headlights weren't on. When I checked, yes, actually they were on. Just not working. My passenger light had gone out around New Year's and I was just trying to make it until this weekend when I got my oil changed and I was going to get it all done at once. 

No such luck. BOTH of my headlights had gone out. Seriously, how often does this shit happen to people? Or is it just me?

I called Chris to tell him I was going to try to make it to Jiffy Lube to see if they were still open. By that point I had completely lost it and was crying on the phone with him. (Crying is not recommended while trying to drive with no headlights.) 

Finally I made it to Jiffy Lube and they were going to be closed in another 20 minutes or so and didn't have time to help me out. Figures. So I drive home, change clothes, and Chris and I go to Autozone. We get the lights we need and head back home. 

I put dinner in the oven (leftover stuffed shells from my momma) while Chris worked outside on trying to get my lights changed and my new plates put on. It took a couple hours, with a short break for dinner before he got them. At one point he said he couldn't figure them out and I texted my boss and told her I'd be late because I was just going to go somewhere this morning to get it done. 

Eventually he figured it out and got them replaced for me. He's pretty great :)

So even though I've only got about 40 pages left in Catching Fire I still haven't been able to finish it. Hopefully I'll have time to finish it tonight after work. 

I hope you all had a better Monday than I did!