Friday, January 18, 2013

Finally, it's Friday!

It's finally Friday! It's been such a long and exhausting week. We've been having all sorts of problems with the computers and our scanner and stuff at work and I really dislike dealing with people in IT.

They think they're better than you. They think they're smarter than you. And really, all they're doing is trying to find some half-ass way to do their job. Just like everyone else. Grrr.

On top of that, I had to completely re-do the cover for one of our magazines. It was a pain. And took me most of the week to do, but I finally finished it yesterday.

On the bright side, my interns and grad assistants have all been great so far. Everyone started working right away (unfortunately without our scanner there's a little less work for the grads to do), has been nice, helpful, asked lots of questions, etc. I think in that aspect, it's going to be a great semester.

My first week of class is over. Poetry was Wednesday and I'm going to love it, I know it already. There's a lot of people I don't know, so I'm looking forward to getting to work with new people and getting new comments and criticisms on my poetry. I have to write a poem for next week's class. So that's part of what I'll be doing this weekend.

I might save that for last though (unless I get really inspired) and get the crappy stuff out of the way first. I had my research class last night. My homework for next week? Read 6 chapters in a book (it's a small book, but still...) plus three articles, and everyone had to sign up to do a presentation on either a chapter or one of the articles. I picked one of the articles. So I have all that reading, plus a presentation to do.

Much of this class will be about getting started on our theses, choosing the topic, writing the introduction, etc. I was pretty set on doing a creative thesis (poetry, obviously), but then last night she told us that the people in the Professional Writing program also have the option to do an editing project. So now I'm sort of torn. The one major turn-off for the editing project is that it has to either be non-fiction or historical fiction. Which is kind of irritating. Not that I don't enjoy historical fiction (I love it), but there are other kinds of books that still need to be researched. Just because a novel is purely fiction doesn't mean it doesn't have certain elements in it that should be fact-checked, like how to change a tire or something.

I love editing though and think I'd really enjoy doing the project if I could find a way to make it work. The major problem is that since we're technically supposed to be working on this for the majority of the semester, I have to make a decision by mid-February. No pressure.

Starting next week, Kirsten and I will be working out on our lunch breaks. I'm so excited. The Rec Center offers free classes during lunch time. Monday is yoga, Tuesday is zumba, Wednesday is core strength, Thursday is a spin class, and Friday is pilates.

Kirsten will only be joining me Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. We decided we definitely want to do yoga and core strength. I'm not sure about pilates. I've never done pilates or yoga, but they really don't seem too different to me. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I'll be going by myself. I haven't decided if I want to try doing zumba or not. I've done it before and liked it, but I'm thinking I might enjoy spending some time on the elliptical or something. And although I love the intense workout I get from spin classes, I hate bikes in general...the seat causes too many pains in my body that just shouldn't happen. So I'll probably skip that one too.

I'm really excited about it though. I'm even more excited that I have the day off on Monday! Three day weekend! If you're off too, enjoy it! :)

No comments :

Post a Comment