Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Spoke Too Soon

For the past few months, I have done a fairly good job of avoiding getting sick (minus that UTI). I take my vitamins, make sure I get plenty of vitamin C, drink a lot of water (anywhere between 60 and 100 ounces a day), eat fruits and vegetables, exercise when I can. I was just thinking all of that to myself the other day, amazed that what I was doing was actually working, and hoping that there would be a possibility of me not getting sick (or at least not getting sick as often) this winter.

Yesterday I had kind of a scratchy throat. Nothing major, so I assumed it was allergies and kept drinking my water. By the time I got off work yesterday, it hurt to swallow. Overall, I still felt okay though. So I went to Barnes & Noble, grabbed a coffee, did some shopping, and then went to class. I was exhausted less than half way through. That caffeine did nothing for me. My sore throat was worse.

I got home and Chris had made chili. It was spicy and delicious (although a little too hot temperature-wise...I burnt my tongue :/ ), just how I like it. I only ate about half of a bowl though. My throat hurt more and I don't know if it was the spiciness that was making it worse or just eating in general (probably a little of both). I felt bad I didn't eat more.

I went to bed and woke up several times in the middle of the night sneezing and coughing. Not a good sign. Woke up this morning pretty much the same way except everything hurts now. My throat hurts. My eyes hurt. My head hurts. My nose hurts. I'm cold. I'm out of kleenex and am now using regular toilet paper every time I have to blow my nose (which makes my nose hurt worse).

I don't have an appetite (had to force myself to eat a banana for breakfast this morning) and I'm forcing myself to drink water...barely. I'm really bad about not getting enough fluids when I'm sick. I'm extremely thankful I don't have class the rest of the week. Hopefully I can get some rest and get over whatever this is quickly.

As I was thinking all those nice things the other day about how healthy I had been, I was also thinking to myself that I should probably get a flu shot this year since I didn't get one last year and that could possibly be why I got sick so much. But, you can't get a flu shot if you're sick. So I never got one last year because I was sick every few weeks. I was never not sick long enough to be able to get one.

I'm hoping this will pass and I can go get a flu shot. Not that getting a flu shot will keep me from getting sick at all, but hopefully it will keep me from getting sick so often.

Right now I'd give anything to be in bed with some soup and a grilled cheese. And enough medicine to let me sleep and breathe and all that good stuff.

What kind of things do you all do when you're sick to make you feel better?

No comments :

Post a Comment