Friday, October 5, 2012

Thoughts for the Day

I bought milk this morning at the gas station on my way to work. I thought I grabbed skim milk. I was almost to work before I realized that the bottle I bought was red, not pink. Apparently the red one is "Vitamin D." Why does there need to be a "Vitamin D" milk, when milk already has Vitamin D in it? If they're adding more Vitamin D, how much more is it? What it really comes down to for me is that it has much more calories and fat than skim does and it just didn't taste as good. Which is sad because I really wanted some milk this morning.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to think this, but as far as healthy eating goes in this country, wouldn't it be beneficial to sell more products in single-serve sizes? I don't mean everything when I say this, but things that come in bags/jars/containers/etc that are about 2-2.5 servings. For example, if I were to go across the street to the vending machine and buy a bag of Cheez-its, it would be a slightly larger bag that's roughly 2 servings instead of 1. Since I'd be getting this from the vending machine, I wouldn't take the time to sit down and split it up to make sure I only eat one serving. And this happens all the time. Coffee drinks you can buy at the store or gas station, sodas, most snack foods, etc. Clearly, it would be better if we all just ate healthy foods and gave up all the junk. That is obviously something that won't happen in this country any time soon, possibly ever. But wouldn't it be beneficial to everyone if all of these pre-packaged snack foods/drinks were sold in ONE SERVING sizes? It wouldn't get people to eat healthier foods, but it would help with portion control. It would also help if healthier foods were less expensive and more accessible, but that's another topic for another day.

The Wild Card game is this afternoon between the Cards and Braves. Unfortunately, thanks to their horrible timing, I will miss almost all of the game because I'll be driving to St. Louis. I'm hoping I can pick it up on the radio at least on the drive home. As long as the Cardinals win, that's all that really matters. I'm wearing my shirt that says "Own October" on it. I wore it when we were in Chicago and they won, so maybe it will be lucky again today.
Own October :)

Chris and I are going to my mom's for dinner tonight. She's making chicken tortellini soup and I'm so excited. Perfect day for soup :) Tomorrow we have a wedding to go to and Sunday I'm going to my family reunion. Another busy weekend!

So, back to the milk...I seem to have started a small debate on Facebook, so I'll ask all of you:
How do you like your milk?
Thick and creamy? (whole milk)
In between? (1-2%)
or
Almost water? (Skim)

Have a wonderful weekend! Happy #WildCard day!

No comments :

Post a Comment