Saturday, December 1, 2012

Hydration

I used to hate drinking water when I was younger. I also hated milk and juice. I think I mostly drank tea or soda, especially in high school and a majority of my undergrad.

I'm still not huge on drinking juice, and I really only like milk with certain things, and when it's super cold. But I drink a TON of water now. As I've mentioned before, I drink at least 60 ounces of water a day. During the work week, I probably drink closer to 100 ounces a day (more or less). I'm not quite as good about drinking so much water on weekends, but if we go out to eat, I usually order water rather than a sprite or something else.

I tried that Mio stuff for a while. I like it, and the ones I have tried taste good, but I rarely put them in my water. Chris uses them all the time, but I find that I actually want plain, cold water. I crave it sometimes. There are days where I could have sprite or coffee or tea or whatever else, but the only thing that sounds good to me is water.

I guess after forcing myself to drink water regularly whether I wanted it or not has made me like it a lot more. I also don't feel as well when I don't drink enough water during the day. A lot of people say that drinking a lot of water helps with weight loss and stuff. I can't say that I've ever noticed a difference. Maybe it helps maintain my current weight, but I've never lost weight because of the amount of water I drink.

But like I said, the more water I drink throughout the day, the better I feel. And I usually have better runs when I've had a lot of water. Maybe the whole weight loss things works for people who need to lose more weight than I do. Or maybe it has something to do with your metabolism. I don't know. It could be purely psychological. Who knows? I've read so many different theories on what water does for your body and blah blah blah. I know the basic stuff, and obviously water is important, but I'm not sure about the weight loss theories, or the difference between drinking cold water and room temperature water.

All I know is that I feel better when I've had a lot of water throughout the day. Plus it breaks up the workday a little, getting up for refills (and going to the bathroom lol).

For anyone struggling with trying to drink enough water:
First, get yourself a bottle or mug that has the number of ounces on it. That helps you keep track.
Second, if you don't like plain water, put something like Mio in it. Try to make sure it's low-cal and low-sugar though, otherwise you're not really doing yourself any favors.
I'd also suggest trying to drink it plain every now and then. After a while, you'd be surprised at how amazing water can sound, especially in the summer.

No comments :

Post a Comment