Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Grad School Crises

So I've had a few freak outs since starting grad school last semester. Although I think all of them have occurred this semester.

1. Trying to figure out what to do for my thesis. Not a terrible one, but it was stressful for a while.

2. Trying to figure out what to do for my thesis intro for my research class. I'm still not 100% sure what it is I'm doing, but I started it...and I'm still stressed.

3. Registering for my classes for next year. First, I thought my only other option besides the required Advanced Publishing class on Wed. nights was a Brit Lit. class offered by the same teacher who teaches the research class I'm currently in. So my schedule for next semester would have pretty much been identical to this semester. And I have never hated having two night classes in a row so much in my life. It sucks.
After I talked to my boss, she told me there were two classes offered during the day that I could take because neither interfered with her teaching schedule.
I want to take both.
The problem? They're only offered in the spring of odd years. So they aren't offered again until Spring 2015. Which leads me to number 4.

4. Far too many of the graduate courses are only offered every other year or whatever which makes it so hard to plan your schedule and makes it even more difficult to take classes you might actually enjoy for your electives.

5. I eventually made my decision based on whether I wanted to take a morning or afternoon class. And I went with the afternoon class.

6. Trying to figure out what I need to take to graduate and when I can possibly/hopefully graduate.
I'm still not 100% on this, but I'm signed up for a class to take this summer. Then I'll have two classes each semester next year, and an independent study that summer. I should only need one or two classes in the Fall of 2014 and then I can graduate! (I'm trying really hard to avoid staying until 2015 because I'd only need 1 class that spring semester.)

7. Aside from the constant worry/stress over homework assignments, tests, my thesis, and trying to make sure I have my schedule planned out correctly so that I meet all the requirements, I think that's about it. No pressure.

No comments :

Post a Comment