Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Taco Tuesday

We've been in Dallas for a little over a week now. I think Dallas and I are getting along pretty well. Between walking the dog 2 to 3 times a day and walking to restaurants for dinners and occasionally up to the grocery store to pick up a few things, I walked 21 miles last week!

I am pretty proud of that, and I've already walked 7 miles so far this week, although I think that number is a little low. I use the RunKeeper app, and it tracks any walks over 15 minutes without me having to open the app to do an "official workout". Up until yesterday, it was working great. Yesterday, however, it tracked my afternoon walk with Copper as only lasting 20 minutes and 0.82 miles. In reality we walked roughly 2 miles. The app isn't perfect, but it gets the job done. I may try doing our walks as official workouts so that the data is more accurate. We'll see.

It's probably no surprise that we've been down here just a week and I've already injured myself. Twice yesterday. First, I put a bookcase together and managed to cut my leg on one of the shelves. Not serious, but it hurt! Then, last night after dinner, Chris and I took Copper for a short walk because she hadn't been on a walk since the early afternoon. We walked a little over a half mile, just around the block really. As we were getting ready to cross the street back to our apartment, I stepped off the curb and must have landed on an uneven part of the street and twisted my ankle. The immediate pain was pretty bad and eventually I was able to get up and limp across the street and up the stairs. I propped my ankle up the rest of the evening while we watched Netflix. This morning it seems to be doing fine, so we'll see how our walks today go.

Our apartment is finally starting to feel more like home. We only have a few boxes left lying around and that's mostly because we've run out of space to put things. We've got pictures hanging on the walls and my books on shelves. I'm hoping by this weekend we won't have any more boxes cluttering the living room and I can finally take some pictures.

Copper and I are getting into a routine and are getting acquainted with our new city. We've walked through some really nice areas and neighborhoods and some that made me glad we were walking in the middle of the day. Sometimes I plan our route in advance and sometimes I just wing it. We haven't gotten lost yet, but I have checked GPS once or twice just to make sure we were headed in the right direction.

Chris will be working Christmas Eve and we're planning on ordering Chinese for dinner and eating some of the cookies I plan to bake (hoping to start on those today). Since I don't have a car here right now, we did our Christmas shopping together on Sunday in what was probably the biggest and most overwhelming mall I've ever been in. Chris basically picked out his gifts, so unfortunately he's not getting any surprises (and therefore I'm not wrapping them!). The weather this week will be beautiful, so Copper will get a couple Christmas Day walks before we head over to my cousin's house for Christmas dinner. He was so nice and helped us unload the U-Haul (because there was no way I was going to be able to help Chris carry a couch up a flight of stairs!) and he invited us to have Christmas dinner with him and his family.

It will certainly be weird not seeing our families on Christmas Eve/Day, but I think it's a little romantic to spend our first Christmas Eve as a married couple on our own. And I'm grateful that we won't be spending Christmas Day completely alone.

I'll be spending the rest of my day walking the dog and getting a few groceries and hopefully starting to bake this afternoon while I anxiously wait for Chris to get home so we can head down the street for dinner because it's Taco Tuesday at Tacos y Mas! We went there for dinner one night last week and they had amazing street tacos, so we decided we would go back tonight for Taco Tuesday. I'm loving the food down here so far, and loving that we have so many places to go within walking distance!

Hopefully next time I post I'll have pictures of the apartment to share. It's the first day of winter and the high today in Dallas will be 72, so I'm gonna get out there and enjoy it!

No comments :

Post a Comment